Saturday, September 18, 2010

London Needs a Revolution

Today I went into London and there I discovered oh so many things about myself and about life in London for Africans ( I am assuming since no one is consider Black). See I leave in the outside boroughs of London , technically I don't leave in London but rather Loughton in Essex County. It is BEYOND beautiful out here! There is so much greenery and fresh air . The houses are absolutely beautiful . They run side by side parallel to black paved thin roads that run free across the hills that ascend and descend. These beautiful red brick houses seem to shine in the days sun. I am truly a countryside girl. So you could imagine my shock when I walked off the tube into the smoggy daylight of Oxford Circus , with grey buildings shooting into the sky , blocks of pavements holding the weight of the crowd. There were so many people, hundreds upon hundreds of people, all kinds of nationalities and ethnicities pacing at slow and fast paces.

As I walked through the crowded streets , seemingly upstream , rivers of people attacked me. Assuming that I should move aside, sad to say , I bumped into a few people here and there ;) Aside from the crowd the most upsetting thing to me was the numerous of African women wearing weaves , wigs , braids , perms . . . everything that could be died fried and pressed to the side. It hurt me to the core. the lack of love for Black hair that seemed to resonate through the air. I wanted to take out my braids at that very moment. I couldn't believe nor had any idea that Black women . . . more correctly African women were not as accepting of their natural hair. So I decided right then and there that London has NO IDEA what they are in store for. I'm going natural and taking all these women by storm . I am determined to get the African women of England to embrace there African- ness and naturalness. So I have A LOT of work to do .But with the Lord on my side and my determination I'm ready to take it on :D

7 comments:

  1. We are most def. in the same boat. Living here in Napoli, Italy I too have embraced my "Natural" and I love it!!!! The majority of the women here are also weaved, braided or permed up; but I have received many compliments and 2 of my co-workers are working on their "Naturals" now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AH YES love it !!!! Glad to hear you're bringing the natural to Italia :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kelly, that's why daddy loves you. You are true to your cause. Keep on keepin on! a 70's expression.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not sure about the braids since that is an African expression but I understand where you are coming from. A friend of mine, Rych McCain, authored a book entitled, "Black Afrikan Hair and the Insanity of the Black Blond Psych!" It's a fascinating read. Here's the link:
    http://www.valleyofmaat.com/
    Love you! Uncle Vic

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Uncle Vic I will have to check out his site !

    I knew i should have taken out braids haha I don't have a problem with braids, especially since they have African roots. It's just for me braids symbolized a nearness to accessing a " white girl flip" if you will/ whiteness , the sex appeal/ beauty appeal of having long hair that opens the possibility of question about ones ethnic identity.

    I saw many beautiful braids . . . such as the nubian twist ,etc. As for me , though I braided my hair so that more new growth would grow, I felt homogenized. I loved having my natural hair out , I felt unique in my own skin , just the way I was created. I miss that sense of liberation :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am working on my NATURAL too Jamila! Both you and Kelley are an inspiration to me : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. senor mustache is growin an afro too?! you know i'm really not sure the world is ready.. XD and kelley im glad you're having fun there!!

    ReplyDelete