Friday, March 25, 2011

PEFORM

Hey Everyone !!
My it's been awhile ! I hope all is well with everyone and that you're enjoying the wonderful weather , which I am sure is much warmer than the weather that I am experiencing haha. Well since we have last spoken I have been working on a scene from " Miss Julie ", a Church , got a job , been to a jazz club , made new friends and was told about a wonderful theatre.
"Miss Julie " written by August Strindberg is a play in which I despised at first because Strindberg was a misogynistic womanizer who intended the character that I am playing Miss Julie to be a monster and to show that women need to stay in their places and stop trying to better themselves with revolutionary ideas of feminism. I had such a problem with her submissiveness and fall in the end of the play. I discovered that the judgement I felt towards Miss Julie inhibited me from exploring and becoming Miss Julie. Once I read more in depth and sought to understand where Miss Julie was coming from I realized that she was like most women I know today and stopped judging her. Now my scene partners and I are having more fun and success with our scene. We perform it next week.

The job that I recently got is exactly the kind of opportunity that is perfect for me and a wonderful means of income as well as networking. http://www.perform.org.uk/ . I will be teaching kids from 4 to 8 years old drama , singing and dancing. It was such an experience auditioning for this position. I wanted it so bad from the start however, the day of the audition I was thinking of not going for it . But I was like no Kelley you need this. So I gathered my laziness and went on with calling and emailing the people at Perform. Once I received the information about the place and time I was on my way. Now I got there like an hour ahead but as people started to spill in I began to freak out a bit . Everyone seems to look like professionals and have all this talent and I'm like uugghh dang it haha. So I began praying my butt off. " GOd give me strength to get through this , to not defeat myself before I meet defeat. So I walked into the audition room with the others with my head held high. Once the interviewers , including the creator of Perform herself , I realized that I was exactly what they were looking for , and that's when it was easy cause all I had to do was be nobody else but me. So I passed the first cut and then the next part of the audition was dancing and I was like YES I missed dancing , especially hip hop and to my blessing that's what we did.  So we learnt , performed and passed the next cut. NOW came the part of the audition that I began to worry. We spilt up into two groups and the creator of Perform was our interviewer and she tells us that in this section of the audition we have to sing 4 lines of an audition song acappela !!!! OMG my stomach dropped and i began to worry!! haha I couldn't think of any songs that would be comfortable in my range that would be nice enough to pass this cut. So I wait till the end and as people begin to sing , i freak out even more. I felt like I was amongst people who make it to the Hollywood round from American Idol. Also people start to mention where they have been to school , RADA , LAMDA , etc which are basically the Yale and NYU (TISCH) of London. Well I waited till the end to sing and asked if I could sing a Christmas song , so I sang " Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire". I don't know how I did it but it came out alright. I felt quiet good about the audition and the next day received an email that I had got the job !!! I was SO ecstatic !
Now for the church my friend from East 15 has been inviting me to his church since we meet at the beginning of the year. I have been wanting to go but it's far and just never took the time. Finally , I went and LOVED it ! It's an amazing place and the message is wonderful and has me thinking about it throughout the week. Well he , Raphael and his cousin Fem are really nice guys and they are determined to get me to see more of London. So since that I have been to jazz clubwhich reminded me of home and was soo nice to be around such an atmosphere.

No comments:

Post a Comment